Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spoken Word

So I've been behind after many weeks of not being on campus-- a funeral, canceled class, online week, parent/teacher conferences at my school, and the U's spring break. After piecing together that I need to do a reflection on a spoken word piece, I took a look at this one, which my group picked out during my absence. I've actually seen this before, but it was nice to revisit.

Why does the piece work?
This works because everyone can relate to it. As Homer Simpson says, "It's funny 'cause it's true." At least for teachers, it is, and that's who is in this class. Everyone has met a jerk, and everyone has had some teacher they liked. Everyone has felt cynical, and everyone has seen that cynicism go very serious. He does this.

How does it work?
First, Taylor tells his poem in the form of a story, a yarn he spins while people sit around the dinner table, bellies full. He tells it like a good comedian-- with a little humility and a lot of attitude. He draws everyone in with his tone and by building the story up slowly. By the time he reaches the top level of energy, he doesn't let up until the end. He means it, and the audience can tell.

What's to admire?
It's funny and I wish I could be so concise. He says all the things I think the rest of us would love the opportunity to say to other people, but we aren't often allowed to.

What's not so good?
I won't go so far as to say it's perfect, but he does a really great job all around. Perhaps his point could come through even more strongly if he wasn't yelling, but had more control over his anger in the last part, though I think it works.

How is it a poem as well as a performance?
It sounds great. Taylor uses basic techniques of poetry, particularly with consonance. For example, he says, "You see, I have a policy with honesty and ass-kicking." There are a lot of long "e" sounds in there. He also pauses dramatically to help give depth, and he comes full circle. His final lines are a couplet -- that's downright Shakespearean.

No comments:

Post a Comment